Squash blossoms are typically stuffed and deep fried; this is another lighter version of that delicious treat.
We love squash blossoms from Growing Things, Alvarez Organics or Collinwood Farms. A number of our dairy vendors offer delicious ricotta cheeses.
- 1 ½ lbs. fresh ricotta cheese
- ½ c. honey
- 1 egg white
- 18 squash blossoms (12 if they’re large)
- 1 egg, beaten with a tbsp. of water
- 2 cups dry chocolate-cake crumbs or cookie crumbs (try grated parmesan and bread crumbs for a savory version)
- Butter, for greasing baking sheet
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine cheese, honey and egg white. Using a pastry tube, or teaspoon, stuff the squash blossoms about half full with the cheese mixture. Brush each blossom with the egg wash. Roll each blossom in the crumbs and place on a buttered baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until warm, lightly browned and crisp.