adapted from Epicurious via sweetsugarbean
- 1/2 C butter, unsalted, room temperature
- 3/4 C plus 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp almond or vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 1/4 C self raising flour (to make: 2 C all purpose flour + 2 tsp baking powder + 1 tsp salt) You will have a little leftover, but just use 1 1/4 C of this mixture.
- 3 ripe, medium nectarines, cut in half, then each half cut into 4 slices
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp each nutmeg and ginger
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Generously butter a 9 inch springform pan. In a mixer, beat butter until fluffy. Add 3/4 cup sugar and beat until blended. Beat in eggs one at a time then the lemon juice, zest and almond extract. Beat in flour until smooth. Spread batter evenly in pan.
Arrange nectarine slices on top, in concentric circles, pressing a little to adhere. Mix the 3 Tbsp sugar with spices and sprinkle on top. Bake until golden, about 40-45 minutes.
If your springform is dark, check it at 40 minutes, or even 35.
Cut around cake to loosen and remove pan sides.
Serve warm or room temp and dust with icing sugar.