yields 2-3 salads
1 batch roasted beets, cooled (recipe below) (Found from most of our farmers)
1/2 cup micro-greens or arugula (check out Farmbox Greens at the market)
4 oz log fresh goat cheese (Sunny Pine Farm and Left Foot Farm)
1 batch orange sherry vinaigrette (recipe below)
1) Toss the micro-greens or arugula in the dressing. Slice the goat cheese log into small disks about 1/4 inch thick. Layer the salad on small serving plates. Beet, cheese, greens, beet, cheese, greens, beet.
2) Drizzle any additional dressing on top of the salad and season with salt and pepper to taste.
ROASTED BEET RECIPE
3 large beets, peeled, and cut into 1/2 slices
2 T. olive oil
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 t. fresh thyme leaves
1) Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
2) Clean and peel beets (careful they can dye your clothes so be sure to wear an apron or something you are keen on replacing soon!). Slice the beets into 1/2 inch slices. Toss beets with the olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme.
3) Arrange beets on a pan and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Turning 2 times half way through (don’t use your favorite white spatula though – unless you want it to become your favorite pink spatula!). You will know the beets are done when they are tender to the touch.
4) Remove beets from oven and allow to cool. You can stop here and place them in the refrigerator overnight if you like and make the rest of the salad just before serving.
2 T. fresh squeezed orange juice (about 1/2 an orange)
1 T. sherry vinegar
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/2 t. fresh thyme leaves
1 T. finely minced shallots (about 1/2 small shallot)
2 T. olive oil
1) Place all ingredients except the olive oil in a bowl and whisk to combine.
2) Whisk the in the olive oil. You can add more to your liking if you prefer your dressings on the less acidic side. Try adding an additional 1/2 tablespoon at a time up to 2 more tablespoons. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.